Nail Fungus is a fungal infection of the nails that usually leads to discoloration and abnormal thickening of the nails. Toenails are 6 to 7 times more susceptible to this problem as compared to fingernails. This nail disorder is also known as Onychomycosis in medical terms.
Though not a life threatening condition, still Nail Fungus causes a great deal of pain and discomfort, not to mention social embarrassment and hence affects the quality of life. This contagious disease can easily spread from one nail to another and also from one individual to another.
Therefore, it is essential to heal this condition as soon as possible whether with the help of over the counter medicines or natural home remedies for Nail Fungus cure. Some important Nail Fungus home remedies that work effectively emphasize on the regular use of therapeutic essential oils.
The condition usually takes months to heal and may recur after the treatment.
Thus, prevention is definitely better than cure when dealing with Nail Fungus and other such infectious diseases.
Causes and Symptoms of Nail Fungus
Nail Fungus is mostly caused due to fungal infection caused by fungi similar to the ones that cause Athlete’s Foot and Ringworm. These fungi or dermatophytes causing Nail Fungus thrive in warm and moist environments.
Consequently, exposure to the environment of places like public showers, spas, gyms, swimming pools or sharing an affected individual’s personal belongings (like shoes, towels, washcloths, etc) increases the risk of developing this infection. Infection by Trichophyton rubrum fungi is the most common cause of Nail Fungus.
In addition, nail injuries and traumas also make the nails more susceptible to Nail Fungus. Individuals with suppressed or low immunity or the ones suffering from diabetes, circulatory disorders and other related diseases are also at an increased risk of developing Nail Fungus because of the decreased ability of the immune system to fight the disease.
Nail Fungus usually begins as a white or yellow spot under the tip of the affected nail. As the infection spreads deeper, it causes thickening, discoloration and brittleness.
Eventually, the nail becomes dull and distorted in shape with uneven edges. The condition may also be accompanied by itching, pain and slight foul odor. In certain cases, the affected nail tends to separate from the nail bed when left untreated.
Natural Home Remedies for Nail Fungus
• Prepare a mixture by mixing equal amounts of tea tree oil and lavender oil and soak a cotton ball in this mixture. Rubbing this cotton ball on the affected area is one of the best home remedies for Nail Fungus.
Follow this natural remedy about two to three times per day till the problem is cured. Tea tree oil can also be used separately to get rid of this problem.
• Soaking the affected area in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (3%) and water for 15 minutes is useful in removing Nail Fungus successfully.
• While preparing this natural cure, take equal quantities of both hydrogen peroxide and water in a tub and dry the affected area completely after soaking. A mixture of apple cider vinegar and warm water can also be used in the same way to healing Nail Fungus at home.
• Applying a paste of turmeric powder and water is one of the simplest herbal home remedies for Nail Fungus home treatment. When the paste dies, wash it off to cure Nail fungus naturally at home.
• Aromatherapy and acupressure also help in dealing with Nail Fungus.
• Applying a combination of one teaspoon of olive oil and about two drops of oregano oil is a highly beneficial natural remedy for Nail Fungus home treatment. Continue this home remdy for at most three weeks to get rid of Nail Fungus fast.
• Lime juice and onion juice also make for excellent Nail Fungus home remedies. Apply either of these juices on the affected area to help clear Nail Fungus considerably. Simply rubbing onion slices also serves an effective home remedy for reducing the nail infection.
• Simply rubbing Vicks Vaporub regularly on the affected nails is the most popular method of treating Nail Fungus at home.
Diet for Nail Fungus
The most important dietary measure for curing Nail Fungus naturally at home is to have garlic, onion, carrot juice, yogurt, kefir and other such foods with natural anti fungal properties. In fact, yogurt can be used both internally as well as externally as an effective Nail Fungus remedy.
Green tea, ginger tea, chamomile tea and other such herbal teas are also aid in faster recovery. Plus, avoid scratching and dry the hands and feet completely after washing them to prevent Nail Fungus from spreading further.
It is advisable to wash the hands and feet properly after visiting public shows, gyms, swimming pools etc in order to avoid Nail Fungus. In case of Nail Fungus on fingernail, wear rubber gloves when working in water.
Similarly, when dealing with toenail fungus, wearing 100% cotton socks and open shoes allowing proper ventilation is highly recommended. Moreover, it is better to avoid wearing nail polish until the infection clears up.