One of the most common e-mails I receive goes something like this: “How do I cleanse my liver? Do you have any liver cleanse recipes? How do you do a liver flush? Is it safe?” So instead of sending out a hundred emails on the topic I decided to write it all out for everyone’s benefit and share the wonders of flushing out and regenerating your liver!
WHY DO A LIVER CLEANSE?
Our liver is a phenomenal organ and a true hardworking hustler when it comes to keeping things in order.
Every day, our liver:
• Manages our blood sugar levels
• Produces, filters, conjugates, deconjugates, and regulates our hormones
• Creates bile in order to break down fats so that the body can assimilate fat-soluble vitamins
• Metabolizes alcohol and medications
• Produces and secretes vital protein components for blood plasma which are essential for blood clotting
• Maintains our electrolyte balance
• Filters 1.4 liters of blood per minute!
That’s a lot of vital processes our body needs on a daily basis for vibrant health and well-being. Pretty impressive!
Making sure our liver is in tip top shape is one of the best ways to maintain energy, beautiful skin, and overall health. Our liver takes care of a lot and it doesn’t get any breaks. In order to maintain optimal health, we need to lessen its burden as much as possible because toxins are more prevalent than ever before.
WHO SHOULD DO A LIVER CLEANSE?
Not everyone should do a liver cleanse because it can pack a wallop on those who take certain medications, are pregnant or nursing, suffer from frequent yeast infection, are diabetic, hypoglycemic, have stomach ulcers, or have a fragile constitution due to age, chemo, ect. Honestly, this cleanse can take you on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride even if you’re strong and healthy, so I highly recommend checking with your healthcare practitioner before diving into liver flushing.
That said, how do you know if you need to do a liver cleanse?
Some of the most common reasons may be:
• You have acne
• You drink alcohol regularly
• You drank too heavily on a night out or over the weekend
• You eat processed foods often
• Your sugar intake is moderate to high
• You feel fatigued, run down, or just tired throughout the day
• You use chemicals to clean your home
• You are exposed to environmental toxins and pollution (maybe you live in a large city or your workplace uses chemicals)
• Your blood sugar fluctuates often (due to your liver’s overburdened state)
• Your skin is always dry
• You use skincare and cosmetics that contain chemicals daily like lotions, shampoos, conditioners, foundation, etc.
• You have unexplained back pain
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU DO A LIVER CLEANSE?
This largely depends on how you treat your body. If you eat healthy wholesome foods, exercise a few times a week, stay hydrated, get outside, and keep your alcohol, sugar, and processed foods intake to a minimum, you really only “need” to cleanse your liver once a year. However, if you go out often and are exposed to pollutants, chemicals, and other toxins in your environment on a daily basis, cleansing your liver 2-3 times a year is generally recommended